Sunday 6 March 2016

Getting Green

My favourite part each week when I start this blog is updating the progress report.  I love turning the squares green.  The greener the spreadsheet the happier I am.  I was able to completely fill in the boxes for the baby hooded sweater.


The buttons look white in the photo but they are a lovely pale blue.  I picked them up at A Stitch in Time in Leamington.  I went in for buttons and came out with a bag of flannelette.  I almost forgot to buy the buttons.



I did forget to buy the little buttons for the inside.  I like to use a second button to secure the main outer button.  It helps to stabilize the button band and reduces the stress on the knitted fabric.  I picked these up at Len's Mill Store in London.  More about that later.

Tony's slippers are done.  More green squares filled in.  These slippers are green too - more or less.


I don't know why the colours are so ugly in the photos.  I tried various settings and this is the best of the lot.  They are a lovely green and brown.  Hubby modeled them for me.  Knitwear always looks better with a body inside.



They are a bit big on Hubby so should fit my brother just fine.

Felting slippers for me is more nerve wracking that cutting steeks in a sweater.  You put them in the washer and hope for the best.  I am never sure if they will felt evenly, too much or too little.  Luckily these came out just right.  I have a front-loading machine - not recommended for felting as not enough agitation.  I put these in on the delicate cycle with a towel to increase the pounding.  I used hot water wash and cold water rinse and held my breath.  They came out pretty good I think.

The Luella Shawl progresses.  The start of the shawl is endless stockinette.  Perfect for my carrying around knitting.   Most of this got knitted on Friday when I attended an event.  I wish I had stayed home.  I was overly tired and somewhat cranky.  The event started late and with the exception of only a few performances, not all that entertaining.  It might have been just me though.  I did meet other knitters there and each wanted to know what I was making.  While I enjoy endless stockinette it isn't much to show fellow enthusiasts when it is white, plain and still the size that might fit a Barbie doll.  The interesting part doesn't start until the wonderful lace ending.


I should make further progress on the shawl this week.  The league championship playoffs start on Tuesday with Essex versus Amherstburg.  This is the same team Essex played last year for the championship.  It was really exciting hockey then and I hope this series will be too.

The Gansey moves along.  The front and back are now split for the arm holes.  The front is done.


The back is coming along.  I use markers to mark the changes in the pattern so I don't have to count stitches.


On Monday I had to go to London for a medical appointment so I took the opportunity to stop by Mary Maxim and pick up some patterns for upcoming categories.  I also stopped by Len's Mill Store for the tiny blue buttons for the baby sweater.  Before coming home I headed south to St Thomas for an exploration of Little Red Mitten where again I picked up a pattern and yarn for upcoming projects.

I like to have a third project on the go.  I keep planning on gathering the yarn, pattern and needles into a project bag for the next few projects.  Instead I pick up a current project and work on it.  I have an hour before Hubby and I go to the movies this afternoon.  That should be enough time to chose the third work in progress.  Wish me luck.

P.S. There is a link to the Progress Report in the right side-bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment