Sunday 27 December 2015

Post Christmas Cough

I am not fully over the cold.  I am left with a post Christmas cough and hoarse voice.  It was touch and go whether we headed to my mother's place for Christmas Eve.  On the 23rd I was doing the analysis.  Well enough to go or sick enough to stay home.  The final decision was made the morning of the 24th.  I was still not completely well but if I was still a student, my mother would have sent me off to school.  

Mother's checklist:

  • no fever - check
  • no vomiting - check
  • able to stand upright - check
  • able to breathe through nose - check
  • able to speak - half a check

I have been discussing white Christmases with my co-workers and friends.  We all loved them as children.  We are nostalgic about them but as we age or have to travel we prefer the green ones.  White Christmases are only for those who get to stay home for the holidays.  We had to travel and were grateful for the lack of snow this year.

We arrived mid afternoon.  It is a long drive and we left later than I liked but given my state of health, no packing or other preparation was done in advance.  We managed not to forget anything important.

I tried to stay out of the way once there so not to infect anyone.  I had my brother try on his sweater.  It fits so no ripping back.  Cody (my niece's boyfriend) arrived and I held up the back of the vest to him and decided it would fit.

The light was poor and I am tired of my poor photos.  I did not feel up to playing with the camera settings so no photos of knitwear.  Today is still too dark for decent photos so we will have to wait for photos of the knitwear.

Last year my sister decided we should have a new tradition which was continued this year.  11 adults and one child went for Christmas Day brunch at the Pillar and Post

My first cousin twice removed is 10 and 1/2 months old.  I took one look at her and realized my dilemma was over.  All the girl categories and some other children's categories are now taken care of.  Her mother and I had a discussion of what sweater would suit.  Machine washable but not necessarily machine dryable; outdoor sweater, any colour but white.  By the time next fall rolls around she will be a toddler and growing fast enough to fit the 2-4 year old size.  I will size generously to ensure the sweater has a chance of being worn.

The food was excellent and solved so many of my food issues I hope we go again next year.  I can't eat gluten or dairy; I limit meat intake and try to minimize sugar intake.  Planning a meal that includes feeding me can be difficult when you are not used to dealing with food issues.  The buffet works for everyone.  My sister rounds up as many family members as possible and makes the advance reservations. 

The dessert buffet included a vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free dessert.  I was so thrilled to be able to have any dessert for a change, I ate two!  It was one too many mind you and I paid for it later.

Christmas Day consisted of getting up in the morning, going out to eat, taking an afternoon nap, eating again (Christmas Eve leftovers) then going to bed early.  There was a bit of visiting included somewhere in there.  My memory of it is a little hazy as a few glasses of wine were consumed.  (No driving was involved after imbibing.)

I managed not fight with anyone.  I did not make anyone cry.  I hope I did not infect anyone.  It was a successful holiday.

Just in case you came here for photos, I have included a few of my mother's back yard.  Enjoy.  








Just for fun - some photos of my mother's dog.  I love my mother's optimism.  She went out and acquired a puppy for her 80th birthday.




Hope your Holidays went well and were better than expected.  Knitting photos next week I promise.


1 comment: