Sunday 12 August 2018

Almost Time

The Harrow Fair entries have to be in to the fair on August 29.  That is only 17 days away.  So far I have 24 entries.  21 are completed, one is in knitting progress and 2 still need the finishing touches.  I have a list of 6 items I would still like to make.  If I don't, the world is not going to end.  There is always next year.  I have loaded my file for the entries here.

I completed a non-entry.


Paton's Kroy in Camo Colors, my sock recipe.  I just had to complete my "take everywhere"  socks  as I needed the needles for this.

I started a pair of children's socks.  I am making it up as I go.  Here is a close up of the patterning.


In keeping with the Christmas theme I am adding evergreen trees to both the front and back.

I made myself felted slippers earlier so I made children's slippers for the slipper category.  They are green


to keep with the fair theme.  I also have pooches on my mind (see below).


The design is from one of my favourite pattern books for children and babies.  Cutest Ever Baby Knits by Val Pierce.  I have knit a number of the patterns in this book. My only complaint is that each pattern is only one size. 

These are also from the same book.





I started this Christmas Theme item below way back soon after the 2017 fair ended.  It stalled as I tried to decide what to put on it.  I recently decided it is done.  My friend A. agrees.  There is no pattern.  I just kept using patterns I had for the various components except the ring cover.  That I made up to fit the styrofoam ring I bought at Michael's.

It is done.



The little guy in the background is Hamlet.  He is the latest addition to our family. 



He is a cairn Terrier 9 going on 10 years old.  He is a rescue from the Ontario and Eastern Region of the Cairn Terrier Club of Canada.  He and Harley are getting along fine although there are times they are still working it out.  (Sometimes it means that they are peeing it out - males!!!).  It helps that Hamlet is a go with the flow kind of guy.

I am delighted with this baby blanket.


I could not find a pattern for what I wanted to make.  Instead I found this pattern for a wall hanging and added rows to the bottom and top and stitches to each side.  Somehow I halved the rows needed for the top and bottom twice and blanket was coming out wider than tall.  I had lunch with my friend A.  I was outlining my options for fixing this near fatal mistake.  I did not want to have to rip back and start over.  I was thinking of cutting off the garter stitch bottom border and picking up stitches to add rows going down.  A. suggested I simply add more sky and more snowflakes to that sky.  So I went home, charted it out and added sky.  The blanket came out square more or less which is just fine.

The yarn was a special purchase at Mary Maxim's a couple of years ago.  It is their Mary Maxim Baby DK Sport, 55% acrylic and 45% polyamide in white.

This baby will be winging its way to New Brunswick after the fair to warm my great grand baby.  I became a great grandmother as of a few hours ago.  Its a boy, no name given yet.

I have wanted to make this one for many years now.  It is a vest.


Under the tree is a pocket for the battery pack for the lights.  They light up!  I found a chart for the tree on a pattern for some other sweater I found at Len's Mill Store in London.  The presents are from a chart in one of my stitch pattern books.  I used a basic vest pattern also picked up at Len's Mill Store with some modifications.  My friend A. is getting this after the fair.  She has been my Christmas consultant for the last year and her enthusiasm for this theme has kept me going.  She has chosen the decorations to be added to the tree.  It is one of my works that still needs to be finished.

All the yarn is Paton's Classic Wool Superwash DK although some is their former discontinued same yarn different name from my stash.

I am heading to the Listowel tent sale on Thursday on a bus trip.  I always think of a trip to Listowel to the Spinrite factory outlet as a yarn orgy.  It is so much fun at the time.  Afterwards you feel a bit sick.  The only thought running through your head as you try to find space to store it all is, "What was I thinking?"  I can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment