Sunday 15 May 2016

That's Life

Each time I write that there is no time for knitting during the week, I feel like I am sending out excuses why I won't make the goal of 42 items for the Harrow Fair.  Over the course of a year, lot's of events happen to derail my knitting time.  Once again LIFE interferes.  This past week, I spent with my mother sorting through her stuff.

My mother is planning on moving into a retirement community.  She is downsizing.  She is moving from a huge house with a full basement and a property that has three garages into a one bedroom with sitting room and kitchenette.  Because she had so much storage room, she has not ever done a serious purge.

My brother has been taking care of the garages and the outside items.  I went to help with the inside stuff.  We sorted the things she will take with her, what to throw out, what I was to take, what was to go to others and what was to be put into a garage sale.  There is so much stuff we put an ad in the local paper for a 3 day sale on the Victoria Day weekend.  We did not finish.  I have to go back before next weekend.

I brought a carload home with me.  I have arranged for a truck for next weekend to bring home the rest of my stuff.

I carefully packed knitting to take with me thinking - well I really don't know what I was thinking.  I collapsed every night into bed exhausted, slept for a bit and went right back to sorting, packing and pricing.  Not a stitch was done between Monday and getting back home.

I came home late on Thursday.  Hubby and I had planned a weekend getaway for this past weekend before my mother announced her plans.  Because of work commitments for each of us we have barely seen each other for the last 2 and 1/2 months.  We did not want to cancel.  Our upcoming schedules are going to be full too.

We went to Paris for the weekend.  Not that Paris.  The one in Ontario.  At least we started off in Paris.  We explored the downtown first.





Hubby, bought cheesecake.  I bought chocolates.  I browsed the John M. Hall store and picked up a new table cloth,  I recognize the irony in this.  I am bringing a selection of cloths from my mother however, she is keeping the round table and the round cloths.  The one I bought is for my round table.

Our next stop was Mary Maxim.  I picked up a sweater kit for the girl's sweater category.

We stayed over in Brantford.  We spent the evening watching old movies on the TCM station - one we do not get at home.

On Saturday we toured the Bell Museum.  We ended up with a private tour of the homestead as it was raining and we were the only tourists there.  Our tour guide was very good and we enjoyed the museum very much.

We decided to drive around Brantford just to see what we could see.  I felt we were driving aimlessly.  Hubby was playing with the cell phone.  We pulled up to the corner of West and Morton Streets when Hubby announced Len's Mill Store is on Morton.  I was in the right hand lane so we turned right.  We are driving along when I spot the store.  Hubby looking at the phone said the store should be around he..... The rest of the sentence was lost when I pulled into the parking lot at full speed.

I picked up some solid coloured sock yarn.

I asked Hubby about knowing where the store was.  I had been to the Brantford store once before many years ago but now it was in a different location.  He said I had him trained.  When you don't know what else to do, look for a yarn store.  He had just googled Brantford yarn stores and Len's Mill Store popped up at the same time as our arrival at Morton Street.

For our afternoon's entertainment we headed to the Brantford Artillery Club otherwise known as Gunners.  They hold a Saturday afternoon dance with a live band.  It seems strange until you realize the age of their members.  There was a live band - Final Edition.  They played a wide variety of music from different eras.  We danced, we bought tickets for the meat roll, 50/50 draw and the roast beef draw.  We partied with the group celebrating Eileen's 80th birthday.  We celebrated with the wedding guests from upstairs.  They came to the dance between the marriage ceremony and dinner.  The bride and groom had their first dance with us.  All in all we had a good time.  The dance ended at 6 so we went to dinner.

We finished the day again watching old movies on TCM.  This time it was comedies so we had a few good laughs.

I highly recommend Paris and Brantford for a lovely weekend getaway.

Hubby did the driving so I had a chance to do some knitting.  The booties for the three piece set are done except for the seaming.  I picked up some buttons and ribbon to finish the set at Modern Bee when my mother and I were out doing errands that needed to be done.




I finished the newborn hat and bootee set except for the seaming and the hat strap.



Sometime last Sunday, I needed some comfort knitting so I finished a pair of socks I started last summer.  All that was left to do was the last inch and ribbing of the second sock. Easy.


My delusion continues on the finished status of the knitting.  Nothing has been blocked yet.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a jolly good time was had by all! And some knitting did get done after all, albeit just a little; but that's a little bit more than before.

    ReplyDelete