Sunday 10 January 2016

Startitis

This week saw the completion of a couple of projects.  The sweater for my brother, modeled below by Hubby.  My brother is 6 foot 5 inches and broad chested.  Hubby is 5 foot 9 inches and much smaller around.  The sweater will fit my brother just fine, Hubby just swims in it.  Hubby says it is very comfy.

Hubby was heading to Toronto on Thursday.  The sun was shining, I had just put the last button on so we ran outside for some photos in the sunshine.  I managed to adjust all the setting except the white-balance.  As a result the photos are an unmistakable blue.






I work very hard at choosing the right buttons.  Buttons can make or break a garment.  I think most commercially made clothes do not have enough buttons.  As a result the front gapes.  In this case, the buttons also had to be large enough for a large man's fingers.  There are nine buttons on this sweater.  Another detail I do is to put a smaller button on the inside band to support the outer button.  The button reduces the stress on the knitted band and adds a layer of couture finishing.



It was also a relief to finally finish the afghan.  I have been working on it since September.  This is the first afghan I have ever knit.  I always said it was too much a commitment for me.  It took over 16 balls/skeins of yarn.  This is equivalent to knitting two large sweaters.

With Hubby gone to Toronto and me still on vacation, I spent all day Friday with the afghan draped over me sewing the last 5 squares together and then to the previous 15.  I picked up a gazillion stitches around the edges.  It took 5 circular needles of varying lengths.  I then started the I-cord edge and knit and knit and knit until I was ready to scream that I was never doing another I-cord edge and then it was done but not quite.  There was still lots of ends to weave in.  I had woven in ends as I went but there was still lots along the outer edge and the ones for the blocks just sewn on.  Now it is done.




My friend C and I made a day trip to London on Wednesday.  I had some things to do and she joined me for the drive.  It was really a thrill for me to have company on the trip.  We talked non-stop the whole way.  We had a lovely lunch out and then went on a yarn crawl taking in Mary Maxim, Lens Mill Store and on the St. Thomas to the Little Red Mitten.

Now I don't need yarn.  I set out on a quest for patterns.  I had been searching Ravelry but still not finding what I wanted.  I came home with a book on Christmas stockings and one for preemie babies.  I am bored with the pattern I have been knitting for the baby hat and booties and wanted to change it up a bit.

I did break down in the Mary Maxim store and bought a ball of yarn.  This one in Peach.  I have been agonizing over what baby blanket to knit; what size and what colour to the point where I simply could not make a decision at all.  I saw the sample in the store window and felt complete relief.  I bought the giant ball, collected the free pattern and felt like letting go happy tears.  I cast on Friday morning.  Just like with knitting socks from pre-patterned yarn, I am endless amused as I knit.  I forced myself to put it down and knit on something else.  The baby blanket will be perfect hockey game knitting.



The green shawl is bigger.  I also cast on for a wash cloth and it is half done.  I promise a photo that is not blue next post.

This week I put away the left over yarn bits from completed projects and started gathering up the yarn, needles and patterns for the next set of projects.  I want to cast them all on at once.  Why I think I can knit on all of them at the exact same time I cannot explain.   While I can multi-task like a professional, they have to be completely different tasks.  I washed the floor and while it was drying so I could add the shine keeper product, I knit.  At the same time I was doing the laundry.  You can do other things between the loads.  The shine keeper needs 1/2 hour to dry between coats and the floors needs two coats.  I knit while it dryed.  However you can only knit on one thing at a time.


1 comment:

  1. LOL! I'm happy I didn't wear you out with my chit chat! It was a fun trip. Your baby blanket is looking very very nice.

    ReplyDelete